The Partridge Pen Gundog Scurry simulates a retrieve that a gundog may be expected to make during the shooting season. As the name suggests, partridge pens are used for rearing young birds before they are released shortly before the start of the shooting season. The pens are typically 2.5m square, and about 0.75m high. When the birds are released the pens usually remain in situ and shot partridge will often fall into an open pen. Gundogs must be able to jump into the pens to make the retrieves.
This is one of the more popular gundog scurries for novice handlers, as each of the 2 retrieves is ‘seen; or thrown when the dog is able to mark them. Don’t worry if your dog struggles to jump, as we have put a ‘spaniel friendly’ entry point along the bottom of one of the sides for smaller and novice dogs. However, there’s no finer sight than a cocker getting some ‘big air’ as it leaps from the pen!
Although simple and straightforward, this can also be one of the most frustrating of gundog scurries. Inches can seem like miles when all that stands between the dog and the dummy is a couple of millimetres of wire mesh, and no apparent way in!
Partridge Pen Gundog Scurry Prizes (On Each Day of the Event):
1st Place – £25 cash, Engraved Glass & Rosette
2nd Place – £15 cash, Engraved Glass & Rosette
3rd Place – £10 cash, Engraved Glass & Rosette
- You will sit your Dog unrestrained and two dummy’s will be thrown for your dog,
- The clock will be stopped in between retrieves.
- A time will only be submitted if BOTH dummies are retrieved.
- The dog is to be sat unrestrained in the designated area.
- Do not send your Dog until told to by the Steward.
- Any dog that ‘runs in’ will be disqualified.
- The clock will be stopped finally when the second dummy has been delivered to hand.
- No Bitches to be run in season.
- A time limit of two minutes will be allowed.